Menu

Let us recycle your Christmas tree

13th December 2016

Take the hassle out of your post-festive clear up and support St Richard’s Hospice at the same time in a special Christmas tree recycling scheme.

St Richard’s Hospice is working in partnership with JustHelping to send out teams of volunteers who will be collecting trees around the county from 13th – 15th January.

St Richard’s is asking people to make a donation for recycling the tree to support the independent charity’s free care and support of those living with a life-limiting illness.

Local businesses are backing the scheme and providing volunteers to collect the trees from people’s homes. They include the Nationwide Building Society; Fortis Living; ACW Trees; Henson Plant Hire; Evesham Trade Centre; PGF Services; Rock Power; Leigh Sinton Christmas Trees; Droitwich Spa Marina; David’s Nurseries and Gwilliams.

The teams will be collecting trees from the postcode areas WR1, WR2, WR3, WR4, WR5, WR7, WR8, WR9, WR10, WR11, WR14, and the majority of Worcester, Droitwich, Evesham and Malvern.

Jayne Sargeant, St Richard’s Hospice Community Fundraiser, said: “Lots of people love a real Christmas tree at home for the festive season but the hassle and mess of removing them can be a downside. This service will make life easier for people because the trees will be collected from their own homes and recycled for them.”

Mrs Sargeant added, “We want to thank the fantastic volunteers who are making this possible and supporting our care in this way. This is the first time St Richard’s will run the scheme which already works successfully elsewhere in the country.”

To arrange recycling and to make a donation, register your tree online at  www.charityxmastreecollection.com

There is no set fee for a donation but the hospice has suggested guidelines for donations. For example an £11 donation could pay for a Hospice at Home healthcare assistant for an hour or a donation of £15 could pay for a patient to receive a complementary therapy treatment.

From money raised, 90% will go St Richard’s Hospice with the remaining 10% donated to other local charities.

St Richard’s Hospice provides free specialist palliative care for patients living with life-limiting illnesses and supports their families. Each year the hospice team supports over 2,500 patients and family members in Worcestershire with compassion, kindness, dignity and respect.

Patients are cared for in Day Hospice, the 17-bed In-patient Unit or in their own homes by a specialist professional team as well as many trained volunteers.

St Richard’s is an independent charity and is grateful for all donations to help it to continue its work.

 

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

During this challenging time, we are doing our utmost to continue caring for the patients and loved ones who need us most.

The way we work has been adapted, with many of our services delivered remotely – such as over the phone, or by video call. And we are working closely with other health care professionals in Worcestershire to share knowledge and expertise at this time.

Latest changes at St Richard’s Hospice

  • In-patient Unit: It is with great sadness that due to stringent infection control measures, we are required to restrict visiting and cannot offer the comprehensive level of service in the way we usually do. However, we will still do our utmost to make sure that each patient and loved one is given the compassion and dignity they deserve. To help families stay in touch we are encouraging virtual visiting using technology such as video calls and apps. This will be discussed and explained to patients and families on admission and we can help provide access to equipment in the hospice. In addition, the IPU nursing team will liaise with each patient and family to arrange short daily visits from the patient's closest loved one and compassionate visiting, as appropriate. Read the full details here.
  • Community Nursing: Community services continue to operate, with a mixture of hands-on care and remote support.
  • Living Well and Family Support Services: Switched to virtual model, with care given remotely over the phone or via video call.
  • Shops: All 19 of our shops and warehouse are temporarily closed. Please do not leave donations outside our shops, as we are unable to collect them at this time.
  • Fundraising: All hospice organised events until the end of August have been postponed. If you wish to support us, please donate to our Resilience Fund.

Please do not visit St Richard’s Hospice if you have a high temperature or new, continuous cough. If you have these symptoms, please stay at home and self-isolate for seven days. See NHS advice on coronavirus.

Thank you for your support and understanding at this difficult time.